I backed my truck into a landscaping rock at Camp n Drag Sunday morning right before loading it on my trailer. The bed had a pretty strong under structure I built after I caught the roll pan from riding low and messed it up a year ago. I had to repaint the bed anyways so I beefed it up big time so it could lay out hard and not flex and I could ride low and not worry about catching it on a bump and destroying the roll pan area again. It made the bed pretty solid. I hit the rock pretty hard and the bed had to give at its weakest point (the wheel well). The bed is toast now. That being said after thinking about it for awhile its going to be rebuilt over the winter. I'm chopping the top 2" with stock glass, building a whole new frame since I am going to run the crew cab 5.75" bed. I know a guy with a cnc plasma business so I plan on getting rails cut out for me with round notches and round corners. I will most likely go ahead and build door panels for it and finish the interior the right way. I plan on repainting the whole truck rescue green again but painting the interior Ipanema Brown. It will basically be a smaller version of what it looks like now. I'm pretty pumped since I wanted to chop it and put the small bed on a few years ago but the idea of finishing it was more important. This will be the last time this truck will look like this. It's finally off the trailer after the camp n drag massacre. Its going in the barn later today. Once I finish up a friends 05 crew cab thats in the barn now, I can start on the chop top. I found a 5.75' bed im going to pick up sometime later this year. I'm actually gonna get a crew cab cab for my next project. The guy cut me a great deal on them both.
Originally I was going to lay the glass back but now I think I'm going to keep the stock windshield pitch and just chop it down into the cowl / firewall. I'm making my first cut where the roof was originally joined to the bottom of the cab (seen on the pic of the inside of the cab, the flat channel going all the way across). My firewall was already rebuilt because of the big body drop, and wouldnt fit the stock plastic cowl. I never got around to making one before, but after the chop is done I will be making a sheet metal cowl to fill the gap some. You can see what the cowl used to look like in the pic of it together.
I'm not gonna lie, I started to get a little nervous before I cut the doors. Reality started to sink in that if I mess this up its over. I am very pleased with how its turning out. I have no idea what im doing haha.
Bulk of the outside of the cab / firewall is done. Still a ton of sheet metal inside that will never be seen to go though.
Ended up just doing another firewall back frame. Its still in progress but here's a few updated pics: