best option

Mini Truckin'
Item Posts    Sort Order

best option

jethok jethok
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/14/09
05:35 PM

im looking at putting a new engine in my 95 s10 wondering what my best options guna be as far as the least amout of work needed for the change ive seen some people have put in the LS1 series but is that alot of work? im not the most experienced mechanic in the world.. but i undersand that itll mean a new computer and probably alot of wireing... HELP!!!  

Peelish Peelish
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 12/08
06:12 PM

if your wanting to drop a V8 in it personally i would go carburated
i've seen alot of 350 swaps, but if you really want it to stand out, i would try to find either a 283, or a 327
all three engines are basically the same block, but the 283 and 327 have shorter stroke and have the potential to push more power with less weight
i got into the same thing on my ranger
but as far as fuel injected v8 swap, its probably going to be pretty expensive and the wiring harness is gonna be hell
the carburated is also cheaper to build for power
but thats just my opinion
hope it helps some  

burnzya burnzya
Moderator | Posts: 1332 | Joined: 10/07
07:57 PM

i believe you can buy the motor mounts to bolt it in. you might not even need a new computer. i'm putting a toyota 2jz motor into my toyota. i'm using the stock harness and computer. it only requires a few wires to get it running, which will be spliced into the factory harness.  
it's more like a pebble crawler

Peelish Peelish
08:44 PM

summit racing and several other places offer kits to make it fit
another thing is that you will need to change out the radiator. summit has a a direct bolt in radiator for the s10, but its almost $1600
Summit also supplies a kit containing headers, motor mounts, oil pan and pickup for about $550
have you already selected an engine?
and are you going with stock tranny?
i dont know how easy it would be to find, but if you could find a wrecked or Firebird WS6, you would have the ls1 engine along with a 6 speed tranny and all the wiring  

jethok jethok
Posted: 03/15/09
07:55 AM

well i have an old 350 out of a monty carlo i got off my friends dad.. and mmy trucks got the old tranny casing but its stick so i was thinking going with a racing clutch... and maybe swaoing out the rearend and putting in a stub axle with slicks.. what do you think workable??  

jethok jethok
07:56 AM

mite be a 327 not to sure gota run the vin on the block and have look online...  

Peelish Peelish
11:26 AM

sounds like it would be a pretty sick set up
i would run the numbers on the engine block, and then the heads to get an idea of what kind of power your pushing
im working on dropping a 351w in my ranger  

burnzya burnzya
12:31 PM

the chevy 327 was only produced until 1969, and the monte carlo didn't come out until 70. if its a 327 then its been swapped before. a friend of mine runs a 383 stroker with stock 5 speed and rearend from a 4.3 s-10. it hold the power fine, but if you have slicks it might break something. he runs 20's with a decent width tire and it breaks traction before it will break the parts.  

Peelish Peelish
06:23 PM

what are the numbers on the block? and the number on the heads if you have it
but yeah, all i have really done with chevy v8's is rebuild,
ive heard that alot of the parts are compatible together
on the fords its hard to find a manual trans that fits the right engine, but i think chevys block and trans bolting pattern usually match up, i just dont know how the stock holds up to the power  

burnzya burnzya
07:17 PM

the chevy 4.3 liter is basically a 350 with the front two cylinders cut off. the trans bellhousing pattern is the same as the small block v-8  

Peelish Peelish
07:43 PM

thats what i was thinking, i just wasnt sure about it
im considering dropping a chevy v8 in my ranger, ive got the 351w, but the ford parts are alot harder to find and when you find them they are way more expensive than the chevy
i dont care for the idea of haveing the chevy engine in a ford, but ive got more of the parts and would be easier and cheaper to build
what do yall think about that idea?  

burnzya burnzya
08:31 PM

i'd go with the windsor. then you don't have to worry about the distributor hitting the firewall. and you could always get the 427 stroker kit. weight of a small block with the power of the big block! oh yeah, i always lean towards ford!  

Peelish Peelish
Posted: 03/16/09
02:45 PM

hell yeah
i didnt think about the stroker kit, that would work, now i just need to find a 5 speed trans to match up to the block  

burnzya burnzya
Posted: 03/16/09
10:36 PM

i believe a 5 speed from a 5.o stang will bolt up to the 351.  

Peelish Peelish
Posted: 03/17/09
07:17 PM

yeah, i'll check out the junkyards and see what i can find