Jeep shackles

Mini Truckin'
Item Posts    Sort Order

Jeep shackles

rideronthestorm5 rideronthestorm5
User | Posts: 171 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/12/08
03:37 PM

i have an '88 Jeep Comanche, and it has leaf springs in the back. my question is that i wwant to get more drop out of the back (i already have 3" drop blocks), but i dont know how. the leafs connect right to the frame in the front, but on the backside of the leafs there is about a 2" shackles that connects to the frame. is it possible/smart to remove that shackle and bolt the leafs directly to the frame? or is that not the greatest idea? if not, then how do i get the rearend lower? any help will be greatly appreciated.  
Ever seen a truck that looks like this before?

chariotofmanliness chariotofmanliness
User | Posts: 69 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 03/13/08
06:01 AM

you don't wanna remove the shackles. they allow the springs to travel, if you bolt the springs right to the frame, you might end up with cracked springs or frame. to be honest, i have no idea how you would lower it.  
I work to support my Jeep chariotofmanliness

Posted: 03/13/08
03:13 PM

for some reason i thought something like that would happen.do you think it would be possible to remove the other helper leafs and then just add air shocks or something?  

Posted: 03/17/08
06:33 AM

yeah, you might be able to do that. or use air bags. jc whitney sells them for helping to even out pick up's that haul heavy loads and campers. they mount between the axle and frame, so you could actually go with a mono leaf and the bags in the back. up front is a whole different can of worms with the coils.  

Posted: 03/17/08
03:43 PM

or would it be possible to do a 4-link instead? is it possible to use the leaf mounts in the front and then weld the bars to the axle housing. i would have to use a panhard bar to keep the rearend centered tho. the airbags could just be above the axle, with the use of a custom upper bag mount. i would have to notch the frame out tho. would that be a better sollution?

P.S. i plan on airbagging it in the long run anyway.  

Posted: 03/18/08
06:08 AM

yeah, you can definately do a four link. there's a guy on jpmagazine.com that just did a custom four link on his yj. he ran one of the links off the original spring hanger and tied it onto the axle. he put a coil spring perch onto the frame, i think quadratec sells those. so you might be able to use the coil spring mounts for your air bags (instead of the coil springs).  

04:14 PM

thats a really good idea, some one had actually already told me to do that. it would take a bit of blood, sweet, and tears, but i bet we could make it work. do u kno of any company that sells a 4-link kit like that? or do i just have to make it myself.

P.S. dude, thanks for the help.  

DRLZ_Droopy DRLZ_Droopy
User | Posts: 146 | Joined: 08/07
07:43 PM

a long time ago i had this crazy idea about making adjustable mounts on the side of the frame. like the trailer hitches out now. to where if you had a jack you could raise the truck up to go out and lower it when you want without air bags but not sure if it would work. just a thought. i got tons of these.

but about the 4-link will work and you can make your own you just need to get the bars, my brother makes his for his race car instead of buying a 4 link.  
'68 c-10 is my ride now
check me out on myspace.com/droopy43

Posted: 03/19/08
03:54 PM

can an amature builder with an expert friend do it? or is it  better left to a professional?  

Posted: 03/20/08
07:42 AM

if you can weld, you should be ok. here's some links.....

http://forums.jpmagazine.com/70/6558486/jeep-suspension/jeep-layin-frame-hardcore/index.html

http://forums.jpmagazine.com/70/6575456/jeep-suspension/more-pics-of-my-full-size-axle-swap/index.html

http://forums.jpmagazine.com/70/6617628/jeep-suspension/well-its-all-done-some-small-flex-pics-of-my-full/index.html

hope these help you out......  

Posted: 04/07/08
07:07 AM

found it.......buried on page 10....LOL. check the links in the above post UGC. they're pix from the guy who installed a custom 4 link on his yj. i'm thinking this might be the ticket for you.  

Posted: 04/07/08
05:11 PM

yeah, i got to the pages that you directed me to, that is most likely the sickest looking cherokee i have every seen! that is how low i want my truck to be. as far as looking at the 4-link kit, my computer is retarded and wouldnt load any of the pictures. i will get back to you wen i get onto a better computer. thanx again.