Mini Truckin'
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Engine-driven Compressors?

5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 7613 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/09/06
09:51 AM

Are any of you guys running engine-driven compressors?  

dailydrgddime dailydrgddime
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/28/06
09:43 PM

i was jus wondering,ive heard that u can use a factory ac compressor for ur air ride.ne one got ne comments? it would be greatly appreciated  

airgasim airgasim
Enthusiast | Posts: 651 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 12/31/06
06:01 PM

I  got a link for you (mind I have not done it and i cant get the pics to come up lately) It shows a how-to Make a EDC out of  a early model Ford-Mini York A/C compresor, its on a S-Dime i think,I wanna give it a shot on my yota next month.If i do it i will post a walk thru.

http://www.bagginit.com/york_page_1
Its all i got !  
Sometimes being called the lowest form of Customs aint all that bad!!

Posted: 01/01/07
03:30 AM

thanks gasm im gonna try tom. and ill let you know how it goes Confused  

5569 5569
Posted: 01/02/07
05:59 PM

ya i'm runnin' a factory ac compressor too...no complaints, no problems. Need steel braid from it to the tank (right now only have about a foot and a half of steel braid off the compressor).  

Posted: 01/03/07
09:48 PM

is urs a stock richardson or did u convert to a york like gasm was talkin about and how many psi will it go up to?  

REDOVAL REDOVAL
User | Posts: 88 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 01/04/07
06:57 PM

The factory a/c compressor can be used, but with some drawbacks that turn most people away.  The factory compressors need to be pre-oiled. (definition- the air intake of the compressor needs to have an oiling element installed; they can be purchased from Kilby Enterprises at OnBoardAir.com) The reason for this relates to the coolant the compressor pumps.  Older a/c compressors used R12 refrigerant whereas the newer pumps use R134A.  The models using the older R12 fluid had separate oil and refrigerant chambers within the pump that used an oil sump design similar to a standard engine keeping the oil and coolant apart.  Newer R134A compressors use refrigerant that acts as the oil in the compressor itself as they lack a separate oil sump. The idea of pre-oiling the compressor is to simulate the coolant(R134A) the compressor would normally pump.  With this in mind, the newer style pumps require more maintenance and attention than older pumps.  It can be done with great success but at the cost of increased maintenance.  
I have been running older R12 Ford rotary pumps from a very common 5.0L Ford engine (mustang, crown vic, thunderbird) from the early seventies to the early nineties.  Another vehicle that used this pump was the Volvo 240DL from the eighties; the pump is located under the power steering pump on the driver's side.  These pumps are harder to pluck from the vehicle but work equally well if no Fords exist.  The rotary notation is based on the swash-plate style that differentiates it from the piston-style York pumps.  The place to find said pumps is any standard junk yard; these cars are abundant and the pumps can be had for roughly $35 Southern California price.  This is one pump that works great and has proven itself for over 300 psi on a daily driven truck that sees more than 100 miles daily.
Another pump that is commonly used is a dual piston-style model manufactured by York and carries the 210 nameplate.  There are many other models available but the 210 is the highest displacement pump in the lineup.  Accordingly it is also the largest case design; the 206 and 209 models have a smaller case and are usually found in the Air Lift Air Commander engine driven kits.  These work well, but I highly recommend installing a used pump as the oil blow-by on the newer pumps is very high and takes quite some time to subside.  I have used the York 210 Pump with great success on two more daily driven vehicles.  
The choice between the York and rotary Ford pumps is one that can be made with the amount of room available in the target vehicle.  In my Ford Ranger, I used the rotary pump because it has a lower deck height and easy to mount ears on the bottom of the pump. I used this same pump on a 2.2L Chevy s10 and it fit perfectly in the factory a/c pump location and looks very close to factory if left un-painted.  On my 93 Toyota pickup with the 22re engine and turbo I was able to sqeak in the York 210 compressor which works awesome.
Pictures can be posted if people would like to see these pumps installed in vehicles.
It is also important to note that both compressor styles require a coalescing filter (water/oil separator) and a steel brail lead line approximately 3 feet in length to dissipate the heat; trust me they get very hot. Shocked
I have more information if people want it.  

airgasim airgasim
Posted: 01/04/07
11:13 PM

I would def. want to see pics, of the yota install. I too wanna  put a fatty in my yota.Were (and how do you tell the diff)And where can i find a 210? Any info you can give in relation to my 91 22re,is great!
Heard bout that heat man.oooouccchhh  

Posted: 01/05/07
10:32 AM

thanks guys, i apreciate the hell out of yall,yeah the pics would be awesome.thatnks again.    keep draggin!  

REDOVAL REDOVAL
05:12 PM

Here are some photos of the York 210 in my 93 Toyota.

DSC 0015

DSC 0016

DSC 0006

DSC 0010

The bracket I made requires the factory a/c pump bracket and location; it can be done with a/c but i am still working on that location.  

REDOVAL REDOVAL
05:17 PM

Note-i do not have a steel braid lead line on the Toyota setup; I currently run 200 psi and it fills quick enough to not get hot enough to worry about.  Another key note, the truck is a daily driver so the suspension is not very quick so i dont generally run the compressor more than a couple of times a day. If I messed with the suspension more I would need one at least three feet long to dissipate the heat.  

5569 5569
05:37 PM

Edc  

SlammedDime SlammedDime
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/06/07
02:35 AM

I am the author of the link above.  The pictures no longer work because I no longer support/maintain that website.  A newer version of that how to, along with a lot of other great information, with pictures, can be found at http://www.airridetalk.com/tutorials/tutorials/air-on-demand/

The install is using a Mini-York, the SC209 and it is installed on my 2000 4.3L S-10.  I will be finishing the tutorial next week.  I just received the last of the parts that I needed for it.  

airgasim airgasim
Posted: 01/06/07
02:00 PM

This may sound stupid.What is that diaprham looking thing on your setup?redoval

Thanks slammed. I just found that new version on airridetalk yesterday was gonna repost ,but you got my back!  

REDOVAL REDOVAL
Posted: 01/08/07
04:27 PM

That is the intake filter I picked up from Kilby Enterprises (OnBoardAir.com).  They are a great filter and I recommend them.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last